Thursday, April 14, 2011

This Wasn't Supposed to be Fail Blog....

Here's a tip. Don't make any radical changes to your diet right before your period starts or when you're sick. It will just make it that much harder...I promise you. I don't care how strong you think you are, just don't set yourself up to fail.  If you're going to make this big of a change, plan accordingly.

There was no blog post yesterday. I tried my hardest. I even went to work feeling dizzy and nauseous. Thank goodness I was sent home before things got worse. When I got home, I felt like I needed something miraculous. Something that always works when my tummy hurts. Something with sugar in it. GINGER ALE. Oh, miraculous, golden colored, carbonated beverage...I LOVE YOU. It was wonderful. A coworker told me that ginger ale wasn't really cheating...but I had some bread too.

After some ginger ale and bread, and a good nights sleep, I woke up feeling quite refreshed! And I'm back on! Today was a success! Bacon and eggs for breakfast, chicken and spinach salad for lunch, delicious nuts (who doesn't love toasted salty nuts) for snacks, and a big juicy strip steak with steamed broccoli for dinner!


This was. So delicious.  To steam my broccoli, I use a steaming basket in a large saucepan. I add about an inch of water to the pan and throw in my fresh cut broccoli. Lightly sprinkle in a little sea salt, a little fresh cracked black pepper. Crank it up and let it go for about 8-10 mins. I wouldn't let it go any longer than that, I don't like soggy veggies.

For the steak, I take it out of the fridge for about thirty mins before cooking.  I think it cooks better from room temp.  I rubbed the steaks with a little EVOO and seasonings of choice.  Simply Organic has a good grill rub, garlic, sea salt, pepper...whatever else you like. I heated some additional EVOO in a skillet til about smoking over med-med high heat. For a good thick steak, I cook it 5-6 mins per side (Medium).  I don't touch it while it's cooking...5 mins one side. Flip without poking. 5 mins.  When it's done, LET IT REST. Seriously, just let it chill for 3-5 mins before you cut into it.  Let the delicious juices simmer inside for a couple seconds. It's worth the wait.

For the breathe part...for the past two days, that's about all I've been able to manage.  Not much movement, but that's okay. Sometimes you just have to be still. That's something that used to be so hard for me. But now, sitting in complete silence and focusing on my own breath for 10 mins is such a revelation.  It can really blow your mind, and I highly recommend it.  Since I haven't been able to focus on TaeKwonDo movement, I have visualized the movement.  Working through a traditional form mentally can sometimes be just as good as going through the motions.  It can even get the heart pumping a little.

As I'm starting to feel better, I'm excited about getting back on track.  Ready to get outdoors this weekend! The farmers market will be starting up in Issaquah...can't wait to see what's out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment