Tuesday, April 19, 2011

21 Days is hard....

I'm not doing as good as I thought I would here. I'm back on track after our binge of doughnuts and mexican food this weekend, but my cravings are fierce and I haven't looked into supplements much yet. Because I'm tired and lazy (and honest!).

A couple of pointers for other people who are trying to stay on track with their nutrition. 1) Do not run out of food. This is dangerous. If you open your fridge and there's nothing there you'll go looking for other things. Luckily, this has not happened to me yet (I've cheated for other reasons). 2) Pack all your food for the next day the night BEFORE. This is consistently hard for me. I'm already exhausted when I come home. Add in required moving/breathing for the night, and I'm usually crashed on the couch before 8. I did not pack my food last night which left me to squander in the cafeteria today. I think I did okay...I had scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast and salad at lunch. I was surprisingly pleased that the dressing did NOT contain MSG! Hooray! I'm pretty sure I already referred to soy as the Devil's (Sugar) younger brother...well, add MSG to the list. That sh*t sneaks into everything! And I can always tell when I've eaten it. Instant headache+dehydration.

I haven't talked on my moving and breathing much because, honestly, I've been kinda half-assing it. I definitely meditate and do breath-work daily, but it's really not enough. I haven't been running nearly as much as I used to before this started, and I've done a little of my martial arts training. I've been doing all these things, but not to the best of my abilities. And I haven't been keeping track of it very well. Also, yoga on your own gets soooo lonely! It's so awesome to be in a roomful of amazing people and sharing the energy with them! The connection just can't be described. It's an experience for sure.

Ugh. So I really need to push myself harder to keep on top of these things. Work harder, be more prepared. Anywho...recipe time! This is something that's super easy and fast!


Pan seared salmon and asparagus! Please note that in this photo, the salmon is cooked to perfection but the asparagus is a little well done....ooops. :-/ I over did that a little.

So for the salmon: heat some oil over medium-medium high. While it's heating, I pat the salmon dry with a paper towel. When the oil is hot I add the salmon skin side down and season the flesh with sea salt, pepper, garlic. Cook five mins, turn and cook three more mins.  Dill might be a good seasoning, too, but I didn't try it this time.

For the asparagus: first, SNAP OFF THE WOODY BOTTOMS. This is really easy, and asparagus is designed to just break in the right place. Bend it near the bottom and it should snap pretty easy where it's supposed to. Drizzle with EVOO and lay flat on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.  And here's where things get sketchy...I cooked mine at 400 for 20 mins. I think the temp was too high and the time was too long. These puppies were REALLY roasted. I think reducing the temp and the time will make the asparagus nice and tender.

Overall, preparing the entire meal takes less than 20 mins! Amazing! Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment