Sunday, April 10, 2011

Start at the Beginning

I moved to the Seattle area in September 2010 from Columbia, Missouri.  The transition has been overall a little unsettling. I didn't think I would miss CoMo all that much. WRONG. I miss the smallness of the community, which of course bothered me while I was a part of it. I miss being able to walk to the nearest grocery store. I miss my truck (sold my dear 1996 Ford Ranger, Max). I miss Sunday Funday at Forum 8 movie theater (movie going on the west coast is SO expensive). I miss springtime bug and frog sounds. I miss my yoga home (Alley Cat). That is the worst. Trying to find a great place to do yoga is like trying to find a suitable church. Difficult. You'd think that being in the Seattle area, there would be yoga choices galore. Not so, dear reader. What we have here is Hot Yoga, Bikram, Vinyasa Flow, Hot Yoga, Hot Yoga and Yoga in a heated room. Ugh.

What we also have here is NATURE. Glorious nature. Every day I'm blown away by what is outside my back door. And transportation. I get to ride the bus over Lake Washington twice a day, with stunning views of Mt. Rainier. Trails a mile from my house with waterfalls abound. Blows my mind every time I go running.







Anyway, I started this blog because some important parts of my life STOPPED when I moved. Nutrition...I've gained 6 lbs. Yoga...I don't know if I've breathed right in months. TaeKwonDo...I haven't trained since BEFORE the move. I run more than I ever have in my life, but there needs to be MORE.

So this is what I'm doing. 21 day challenge to myself. Complete change. A sort of Paleo Diet. Mostly meat and veggies, no dairy, no bread, no potatoes, no sugar (fruit will be reintroduced after 14 days), no alcohol, no caffeine (except what comes from my tea). So what will I eat? PLENTY! Lots of chicken, beef, salmon, eggs. Delicious nuts such as Macadamias, Brazil Nuts, Almonds, and Pistachios. Veggies and veggies...spinach, broccoli, yum.

Yoga EVERY DAY. No exceptions. If I don't have time for a completely rounded practice, there will be a minimum of 15 minutes dedicated to breathing and meditation. I am so ready to have this part of me back. My body is aching for it. Literally.

TaeKwonDo. Train a minimum of twice a week. I want my second degree black belt. Fo real.

Running. Not as important to me as the other things on my list. But I should probably do this a minimum of twice a week. I know I should do it more than that, but I don't want to hate it. I'll keep you posted on that.

So I'm going to update this blog with recipes, gripes, photos, and revelations. Be excited...be very excited. I know I am!

1 comment:

  1. Missing CoMo is so reminiscent of when we moved. I hated how confined I felt while living there, but when we moved it took me close to a year to finally feel comfortable in a large metropolitan area. You know how I always drive? Ben drove the first few months in the 'burbs and the first year in the city because it made me nervous.

    There are still some things I miss--a traffic jam taking five minutes, driving to the other side of town in 15, a really good midwestern thunderstorm and a sense of community from the University, but there was no way I could have grown as a person if we stayed. Our first trip back we went to a football game and half-heartedly talked about moving back. It's nice to think it's possible, but I'm afraid the confinement would all come crashing back.

    ReplyDelete