Monday, June 27, 2011

Cheating Paleo Style

We've made it 7 days Paleo!!! Our only "cheats" were some mashed potatoes (per our nutritionist they're okay as long as we peel em and we did), Paleo-ish Pizza, and a little indulgence at the movie theater with Organic Beef Jerky, dried Mango, and nuts. Mashed potatoes without milk turn out just fine. You could use coconut or almond milk. I used organic chicken broth and some butter (butter doesn't ding us for dairy, it's considered more of an "animal fat" rather than dairy). They were really good. For the Paleo-ish Pizza, I used a coconut flour crust. I was thinking I would use almond flour, but almond flour is hella expensive and then I'd feel guilty about eating more nuts later. I love snacking on nuts. Coconut flour is inexpensive, LOADED with fiber, and absorbs moisture very well so you don't need to use very much of it.

Here's a link to the crust recipe I used: http://eatthecookie.wordpress.com/2010/06/11/dear-pizza-i-missed-you-so-much/. I changed it a little. I don't have a garlic press, so I added extra garlic powder, I added a little extra salt (based on other comments), and I also added a whopping dose of Italian herbs. I cut out just a lil bit of the coconut milk (also based on other comments), and it was pretty darn good! Somewhere between crispy and chewy...didn't get soggy at all. For the sauce I mixed tomato paste with tomato sauce and some more garlic and herbs. And then (here comes the paleo-ISH part) we topped it off with cheese and pepperoni. We really shouldn't have dairy, but for us it doesn't count as a full cheat. We just don't gain anything by eating it. Here's the end result!


And, as I mentioned before, it's LOADED with fiber. Two little slices and I was done. If you eat this at night, the fiber will wake you up early...if you know what I mean. I might make some muffins, too! Yum!

As far as the diet results so far...I feel AWESOME! I have so much energy, my period has gone virtually unnoticed, I've lost several pounds, and cut down a little percentage of my body fat. I don't WANT to cheat. It's amazing. Still lovin' CrossFit, too. Every time I work out, I'm like "That is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life." And the encouragement from all your fellow CrossFitters just can't be beat. You won't find gym camaraderie like that anywhere else. It's too much fun. So looking forward to the next workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment